15 Sick in Salmonella Ice Cream Outbreak

by Ella

Fifteen individuals recently fell ill in Hong Kong after consuming vanilla-flavored ice cream at restaurants within the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong hotel. The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health reported that the incident involved three of the hotel’s restaurants: Grand Café, Grissini, and One Harbour Road.

The affected individuals, aged between 3 and 42, included nine males and six females, with at least six being children. All patients consumed the vanilla ice cream in early June and subsequently developed symptoms such as abdominal pain, fever, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea within 15 to 65 hours of consumption.


Four of the affected individuals required hospitalization but were discharged after treatment, with all patients now in stable condition. Laboratory testing of stool specimens from six of the affected individuals confirmed the presence of Salmonella. Four Salmonella isolates were identified as belonging to the same group, Salmonella Enteritidis.


In response, the Centre for Food Safety (CFS) and the Environmental Hygiene Branch of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) inspected the premises and the ice cream production kitchen. The production and sale of the implicated food were suspended, and thorough cleaning and disinfection were conducted. To date, no Salmonella has been detected in the ice cream, vanilla oil, environmental samples, or staff stool samples.


The FEHD will continue to review the investigation and may initiate prosecution against the site if sufficient evidence is found.


In another incident, the CHP is investigating an outbreak at a restaurant in The Kimberley Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, where nine people fell ill. The affected individuals, aged between 7 and 82, experienced symptoms after consuming various foods, including cold seafood platters and desserts, at a buffet. Seven patients sought medical advice, and three required hospitalization. Lab tests confirmed Salmonella in one patient’s stool specimen.

Following an inspection, FEHD officials deemed the hygiene conditions at the restaurant “unsatisfactory,” noting issues such as improper separation of raw and cooked food and inadequate refrigerator temperatures. Operations were suspended pending a positive review after thorough cleaning and disinfection.

Additionally, the CHP is investigating an outbreak in Mong Kok, where eight individuals, aged 17 to 49, fell ill after eating grilled oysters and lamb skewers. Poor cooking practices are suspected to have led to norovirus and/or Salmonella contamination. The restaurant has been ordered to suspend the sale of related food and conduct cleaning and disinfection.

Earlier this month, four individuals experienced symptoms of ciguatoxin poisoning, including limb weakness, numbness, and diarrhea, after consuming fish bought from a market stall in Cheung Sha Wan. Two of the affected individuals required hospitalization. A CHP spokesperson noted that while most people affected by ciguatoxin will recover without long-term effects, excessive toxin consumption can impact the circulatory and nervous systems. The toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking.



Wellfoodrecipes is a professional gourmet portal, the main columns include gourmet recipes, healthy diet, desserts, festival recipes, meat and seafood recipes, etc.

【Contact us: [email protected]

Copyright © 2023